On March 23rd, the Governor of the State of Michigan, Gretchen Whitmer, announced a “Stay-at-Home” order. This order is currently scheduled to last until April 13, 2020. While this is certainly a challenging time for all, I can assure you BTI is doing our part to be productive in these unprecedented times. Toward that end, we are pleased to support our country and world under the Governments Critical Supplier Designation for specific projects. Additionally, while we understand that some interruptions are unavoidable, we wanted to provide an update on the steps we are taking in an effort to promote health and wellness while minimizing disruptions to our valued customers like you.
Other than limited staff on the manufacturing floor and service we are fully staffed, albeit remotely, in Mechanical, Electrical, Software and Controls Engineering. Additionally, we are partially staffed onsite in other key areas of our business including Operations, Finance, Shipping & Receiving and Purchasing. Lastly our Sales Engineers are available via email, text and phone to answers questions and provide support.
BTI’s Measurement & Testing Services division remains open providing balancing and testing services for designated “Critical Manufacturing Sector Suppliers”.
Our dedication to our customers, employees and country remains steadfast. We have seen this crisis bring out the absolute best in people and are encouraged, by working together, we will come out at the other end of this stronger, more nimble and certainly more adaptable!
Thank you for your time. We wish you and yours the very best!
NDT equipment stands for non-destructive testing or nondestructive testing equipment. It is used for analysis techniques, and it is used in the technology and science fields to evaluate the properties of the system and the material without any damage. Other terms used are nondestructive evaluation (NDE), nondestructive inspection (NDI), and non-destructive examination (NDE). Since NDT equipment will not change the item that is being inspected, it has become a valuable piece of equipment to save both time and money in product evaluation, research, and troubleshooting. The common methods used include remote visual inspection, radiographic, liquid penetrant, magnetic particles and ultrasonic. NDT is mostly used in the fields of medicine, aeronautic engineering, system engineering, civil engineering, electrical engineering, petroleum engineering, mechanical engineering and forensic engineering.
NDT methods are based on the electromagnetic radiation, inherent properties of the materials and sound. It includes different types of microscopy to examine the external surface in all details, even though sometimes electron microscopy, optional microscopy, and metallography will require a smooth space where polishing is required, or the place should be electron transparent.
NDT is used in different settings with a wide range of industrial activities through the new NDT methods of these applications that are being developed continuously. The non-destructive methods with the application can be developed continuously. The non-destructive testing method can be applied in the industries where the components can cause significant hazards and economic loss like in hoisting equipment, piping, building structures, pressure vessels, and transportation.
Weld verification: during the manufacturing, welds join two or even more metal parts. Since such connections can find may encounter loads, product lifetime and fatigue while being produced, there is a big chance that they can fail if they are not created using the right specifications. The example is that the base metal has to reach a certain temperature level during the welding process. It may cool at a certain rate, and it has to be welded using compatible materials or joints that are strong enough to hold all the parts together or a crack may form in the weld and cause it to fail. When there are welding defects like no fusion, cracks, porosity and base metals or other variations in the weld density, the structure will break, and the pipeline may rupture. Welds can be tested with NDT techniques like gamma rays, X-Rays, industrial CT scanning and industrial radiography.
Structures are complex systems, and they have to undergo many loads in their lifetime. There are complex structures like liquid-fuel rockets and turbo machinery that may cost millions. Engineers will model the structures like a coupled second order system or by approximating the dynamic structure components like dampers, masses, and springs. A resulting set of different equations is then used in deriving the transfer function which models the system’s behavior. While using NDT equipment, the structure will undergo the dynamic input like a controlled impulse and a tap of a hammer. The key properties like acceleration and displacement on different points of the structure are being measured as the corresponding output. Such outputs are then recorded and compared to the corresponding output that is given by the transfer function. The difference will indicate an inappropriate model, inadequate controls, and failed components.
Like a system, a human body cannot be modeled as a transfer function. However, the elements of the body like molecules and bones have a known response to some radiography input like magnetic resonance and X-rays. An X-ray can be used while examining the interior of a mechanical system when it comes to manufacturing using the NDT technique also.
– NDT equipment: is equipment for evaluating, testing and inspecting materials, assemblies or components to check for discontinuities and differences in their characteristics without having to destroy the serviceability of the system or the parts.
– NDT equipment manufacturers: they are manufacturers of non-destructive testing equipment which will not destroy or damage the products or materials that are being tested.
– NDT ultrasonic testing equipment: this is equipment used for flaw evaluation, flow detection, material characterization and dimensional measurements.
– NDT phased array: this is an advanced method for ultrasonic testing, and it has many industrial applications. The beam made from a phased array may be swept or focused electronically without having to remove a probe.
– Eddy current NDT: eddy current testing is also called ECT. It is one among many electromagnetic testing methods that have been used in nondestructive testing or NDT, and it makes use of electromagnetic induction to characterize and detect the sub-surface and surface flaws in the conductive materials.
– NDT transducers: an ultrasonic transducer is manufactured for many reasons. It is a sensitive transducer, and it is often required to define the details of an item even further.
– Lavender NDT is a group that brings together world experts in NDT through training, examination, and consultancy. Their offices are found in Sheffield in the UK.