Mechanical Design Engineer
We are looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer to take leadership of our Mechanical Engineering Design Teams and Projects. Our Engineer-to-Order Business Model produces a creative design process that enables our designers to thrive. Our projects are typically categorized as New Product Development with minimal callbacks and the Design Engineer will be asked to hit the ground running.
A typical product lifecycle starts with the sales order and ends roughly 32 weeks later with the shipment of the product. The Design Engineer is first in line to scope and conceptualize the product. The Designer will have a number of groups following his/her lead in rapid succession: electrical engineering, software engineering, mechanical build, electrical build, controls engineering, product quality, and field installation.
Our Team is seeking an experienced SolidWorks Designer. This candidate will work under the direction of the Mechanical Engineering Manager and Operations Manager. We are looking for an innovative thinker that can constantly update and evolve designs to improve manufacturability, cost, and/or to simplify the design(s). You will be responsible for checking your designs prior to release. You will also be responsible for engineering support and direction for fabrication, assembly, test, installation, and repair of machines and mechanical systems.
The ideal candidate will be creative and highly proficient in 3D solid design using Solidworks and have some experience with ACAD for 2D design. Responsible for the daily operations of mechanical design. The successful candidate will design, support the build, and document mechanical drawings for various types of equipment. The individual will work as a contributing member of the Mechanical Engineering team, able to create and improve mechanical designs.
The ability to prioritize workloads, balance multiple projects simultaneously, work cross-functionally, collaborate with internal stakeholders and customers are some of the key components for this position. The Mechanical Designer is responsible for current and future work and ensuring that equipment is designed to meet customer and company build specifications.
At BTI, The Customer is King, and we need a customer oriented, motivated individual to help BTI deliver high-quality products.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluate proposals and specifications to determine engineering feasibility of various design concepts and proposed applications.
- Produce engineered designs and drawings for various machine components, sub-assemblies, systems and processes; balance machines, dimensional gages, welding or machining applications, material handling & transfer systems and other measurement and test systems.
- Provide supporting engineering analysis and coordinate design efforts for the design activity.
- Collaborate with sales as well as other engineering and manufacturing disciplines regarding design requirements and specifications.
- Size and select or specify critical components.
- Perform complex tolerance studies and define suitable fits for mating parts.
- Make material selections and specify suitable finishes for component parts.
- Support and/or coordinate machine assembly, test, installation and repair activities to ensure products and systems conform to engineering design and customer specifications.
- Evaluate field installations and recommend solutions for new business as well as warranty issues.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Technical discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5+ years of experience in machine design
- Strong technical communication skills
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word and Excel as communication and analysis tools.
- Excellent analytical skill bringing engineering principles to bear on all facets of machine design – from concept through delivery and into production.
- Ability to devise and perform tests to demonstrate design principles.
- A working knowledge of GD&T methods.
- Automation, Machine Tool, Automotive, Aerospace, Medical Device or other Industrial experience preferred.
An applicant with a keen technical interest or experience in one or more of the following areas will be preferred:
- Specialized experience with automation, part handling, work holding, dimensional gaging, milling, drilling or welding processes.
- Expertise in the design of resistance welding systems – component specification, electrode design and weld schedule development.
- Expertise in the design and specification of fluid power systems and controls – air, oil and water.
- Working experience in SolidWorks/Simulation or other finite element analysis tools is a plus.
- Rigid body or flexible rotor dynamics and balancing processes.